When we talk about water, we know that it is something we should drink more often, because of all the benefits it gives to our bodies. This belief has been something that has been loudly and often taught, your parents told you when you were a child, and it was repeated to you frequently at school, etc.
But do you really know which are the main benefits that water brings to your life? I invite you to read the following article, in order to answer this question.
Water is an essential element for any living being and us as human beings, need it for the basic functioning of our bodies. The body innately generates a certain amount of water, but it is not enough to make up for the water that is lost naturally (sweat, urine, breath…) That is why it is essential that you drink water every day, as some the essential organs and body fluids are mostly made of water.
Did you know that water is the most abundant element in our body?
- 76% of our brain is water
- 90% of our lungs is water
- 84% of our blood is water
- 98% of our blood plasma is water
Water plays a fundamental role in regulating our body temperature. If the body temperature rises, your body automatically restores normal temperature through skin perspiration and by sweating. So, avoid dehydration caused by high body temperature by frequently drinking water.
Water is also essential for body repair, lubricating joints, aiding digestion and keeping our organs in good working order.
How much water should you drink per day?
It is very important to drink the estimated amount of water per day, to keep your body healthy in optimal state.
What are the most common foods with high water content?
"At least 70% of your diet should consist of water-rich foods. This allows your body to self-cleanse. If this amount of water is not ingested through food, we are contributing to clogging up your body."Tony Robbins
What are the benefits of drinking water and staying well hydrated?
Since your brain is mostly made up of water, being hydrated allows you to be more concentrated, focused, think more clearly and improve your memory.
Good hydration is essential for a good state of mind. Staying hydrated also improves digestion, reduces the risk of heart attacks, lubricates joints and improves energy levels.
Your skin will be cleaner and healthier and your eyes will shine brighter thanks to a good water intake. Finally, a good water intake helps in the elimination of toxins, as water naturally cleanses the body.
What happens if I do not drink the recommended amount of water?
These are some of the indicators of poor hydration:
- Thirst: this is the natural warning that your body gives in response to the lack of necessary water.
- At a mental level: in addition to accentuating symptoms of anxiety, drinking little or no water may cause feelings of sadness, tiredness, headaches, etc.
- In the kidneys: it is very important to know that one of the primary functions of the kidneys is to purify the blood, so if you do not hydrate properly, could cause sudden failure of this function, as there is not enough water in the blood.
- At physical level: fatigue, lack of energy and strength, which will lead to weakness and increased likelihood of injury.
- To the skin: not being hydrated leads to dry skin and consequently to the development of wrinkles.
Water and Chiropractic
Spinal discs are 80% water, so it is essential to stay thoroughly hydrated, as dehydration could lead to degeneration of the spine and this could lead to fluid loss or inflammation.
Also, recent studies have shown that spinal discs mainly hydrate during the night and the wear and tear happens during the day, so it is essential to hydrate in the morning and adjust regularly with your chiropractor.
- Drink water when you wake up: It will help activate your organs and body functions.
- Drink a glass of water 30 minutes before eating: This will significantly help your digestion.
- Drink a glass of water before going to sleep: It will help your brain and also prevent heart attacks as it makes the blood less dense*(2).
- Drink a glass of water before showering or bathing: This will regulate your body temperature and help lower your blood pressure.
- Drink the recommended amount of water according to your weight: Staying hydrated is essential for the functioning of your body.
- Frequent chiropractic adjustments: They will help prevent daily wear and tear and support your body by giving it the care it needs.
Best of health!
- *(1) - Juicing-for-health.com - How-much-water-needed-to-drink-daily.
- *(2) - Study conducted at Loma Linda University in California by public health physician Jacqueline Chan, Ph.D., and colleagues published in 2002 in the American Journal of Epidemiology.